Friday, May 9, 2008

Upside Down Birthday


Today is my 60th birthday. When my good friend Christine turned 60, she sang a song for the guests at her party. She had always wanted to sing before an audience and actually took voice lessons in preparation for the event. She sang beautifully, and I decided then that I wanted to do something "hard" when I turned 60.

I wanted to stand on my head, something I had been afraid to do for 20 years though I was able to do it when I was younger.

I DID IT after yoga class yesterday, the day before my 60th birthday!

My teacher Cherie and yoga buddy Kath were there to cheer me on. With Cherie's gentle coaching, I got in position next to a wall for security and kicked up my legs. Viola! I was there and it was easy. I stayed upside down for a good 5 plus minutes, talking and laughing with Kath and Cherie while they took photos. Though I went up next to the wall, I stood free most of the time.

I was high all day, grateful for a strong healthy body and a smart teacher who knew before I that I was ready to do it. No doubt, it was all the blood feeding my brain that kept me up way past my bedtime last night. It was so much fun that I intend to stand on my head again and again ALL year!

No comments: