Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Prayer Study

I started six weeks of prayer study two weeks ago in conjunction with the Maker's diet and the beginning of Lent. The book that I'm using explores four kinds of prayer:
1. Conversational prayers of asking and authenticity;
2. Uplifting affirmative prayer;
3. Praying for others;
4. Contemplative prayer.


In the initial journal work, I realized that the first prayers I learned as a child were asking prayers though that seems to be the kind of prayer that I'm the least comfortable practicing as an adult. I also recognized that I enjoy hearing people like Raleigh and Charlie pray this way. Conversational is the correct word for their prayers which do indeed sound like an intimate conversation with God.

I decided to look for ways I could become more comfortable with prayers of asking and a breakthrough came on Sunday when I realized that the metta prayer of loving-kindness that I say at the beginning of meditation and in moments of stress is an asking prayer.
May I be free from fear.
May I be peaceful.
May I make a friend of my body.
May I know grace and loving kindness.


It seems so obvious now that is is asking prayer but as is often the case, I need to find the links between my Buddhist practice and my Christian heritage to facilitate my spiritual growth.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Great blog! I just wanted to tell you how proud I am of you for all of the self-discipline you have practiced during this time of cleansing, praying, and "Lenting." I don't think I could acheive one tenth of what you have in the last two weeks plus one day...:) YOU GO GIRL!!