Thursday, May 14, 2009

Token

Yesterday, my dear friend Carol took me to the pet store after treating me to lunch at Diamondback for my birthday. I've had a one gallon fish tank sitting empty beside my desk since last November. The tank belonged to Ashley. I set it on an old fashioned telephone stand atop a crocheted table cover and imagined watching a fish in shimmery motion when I took pause in my writing-- a fluid meditation in honor of Ashley.

For months the tank sat with only the pump mechanism coiled inside. Carol who loves her own fish dearly agreed to take me fish shopping. She has a great relationship with the owner of the pet store and assured me that Michelle could help me choose the right fish and tell me everything I needed to know about caring for it. Finally after considerable delay, we made a date to shop after a birthday lunch.

Pictured below is Token--my lovely betta in his tiny triangular tank. He's everything I imagined and more. He swims languidly in circles-- round and round. He pulls his feathery fins in close and then lets them float wide in a delicious flutter. Sometimes when I turn to look, the tank appears empty until I spot one black eye peeking from beneath the lotus petals. I watch and wait. Slowly he glides into into full view and spreads his red-blue fins.

It's a simple pleasure, that's for sure.

4 comments:

jenny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jenny said...

very nice dearma! just make sure the top is fully covered. we had a beta jump out once, to his death i'm sad to say.

Cindy said...

Very pretty fish, Patricia! Or should I say handsome...:) You did a great job picking him out...thanks Carol for taking her betta shopping and treating her to lunch!

Cindy said...

Very pretty fish, Patricia! Or should I say handsome...:) You did a great job picking him out...thanks Carol for taking her betta shopping and treating her to lunch!