Friday, October 19, 2007

Soccer Challenge

With thirteen grankids, it's difficult to make it to all of the various extra-curricular activites, but I try really hard to get to as many as I possibly can. My commitment to "showing up" stems in part from feeling like I missed too many of my own children's special events. Yes, I admit to this guilty motive --but showing up also has to do with the utter delight inherent in watching them dance, sing, act, speak, recite, run, throw, catch, swim, or whatever.

However, something else came into play yesterday when I casually mentioned to my grandson that I was going to try to make it to his soccer game today. "No," he said. "You won't make it. Nobody makes it to these 8am games, except my mom and dad."

Well, that did it! I have risen to the challenge and will be there when the grass is still wet from last night's rain and the air is not yet warm. I just have to don my hooded sweatshirt and pour a hot drink into my traveling mug and I'm outta here.

You can thank him too for today's nice short blog after the overly long ones I've been writing.
ph

No comments: